> Or is the problem that lookup is (or should be) only the noun form,
> while the method name should be verb-ish?

That's my main issue with it.  As you say, there's no verb that could easily
replace "lookup", but we really do have "look up" as part of English already,
so why not use it?  We don't try to use "deleteat", for example.

> I'll take either of those over "logon"... :-)

Yes.  That's another one!

> I guess if you don't
> have the noun "login", you have to say, "There were a lot of logs in
> on the system yesterday."  :-)

Of course, there's nothing wrong with "We had a lot of people log in
yesterday."

(speaking of pedantry, I can never remember whether that period should be
inside or outside the quote)

H.