--Eb8JDWSWVQ5OhikTIrK

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 14:01, Travis Whitton wrote:

> the lab. My long term goal is to build a full featured laboratory information
> management system using modruby as the platform, and I expect to begin work
> on this in the next few months.

we've been doing a fair bit with Cocoon lately -- data in SQL or XML,
documents in XML, transform via XSL stylesheets on the fly to HTML, PDF,
whatever. very cool stuff, IMHO worth a look if you have data streams
onto which you want to trowel some Maybelline.

the only problem is that it's all Java-based. i was kind of hoping to
build support for Ruby as a scripting language (cocoon has its own
JSP-like-but-better java scripting), but somehow i've been busy with my
REAL job(s).

of course, while cocoon is a full-fledged XML publishing platform, you
can invoke the 80/20 rule and get much of the same power in ruby, just
ram XML through your favorite XSLT engine.

rw
--
systems programmer
ASIG, univ. of WI soil sciences

"Otherwise, it's going to get plenty stupider." -- Jan Koloen

--Eb8JDWSWVQ5OhikTIrK

--Eb8JDWSWVQ5OhikTIrK--