----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Ohlsen" <harryo / zip.com.au>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: select and select

> > In another thread, which he accidentally created, Hugh suggested #lookup
> which I think is very worthy.
>
> Since we're nit-picking ... don't get me wrong, there's absolutely nothing
> wrong with that !! ... I think it should be #look_up, since "lookup" is
not a
> word (well, not in English, anyway), and never will be, no matter how many
> times programmers try to make it one.

As a fellow pedant, regarded by some of my friends as the king of
the nitpickers, I'll respond.  :)

I think "lookup" could be a valid word -- a noun, not a verb.
As in: "The first lookup of a key is cached, so the second
is faster."

> My pet peeve in this regard is "login" versus "log in" :-(.

Mine is "setup" (as a verb) versus "set up."

Interesting people don't make this mistake much in a
non-computer context. "Sometimes I situp in bed, lookout
the window, and lookupat the sky."

What really makes me tear my hair out is the non-word "alot."
I see it every day (not everyday) now. Never mind that even
"a lot" is not strictly proper English -- I was taught to
use "much" or "many" in place of that expression. In formal
writing, I still do.

> Yours, pedantically,
>
> Harry O.

If you want to be pedantic, you'll have to try harder
than that...  ;)

Hal