----- Original Message -----
From: <dblack / candle.superlink.net>

> Hi --
>
> [Gavin:]
> >
> > Your reasons are good, but I don't like it :->
> >
> > Reason: given an index into a data structure, you don't "find"
> > something, you get it directly.  That's what indices are all about.
> > That's why I like "grab": it connotes directness.
>
> We've reached the "agree-to-disagree" point, but I find it interesting
> to talk about anyway :-)
>
> My problem with grab is that it feels like its arguments are, in
> grammatical terms, its direct objects ("grab these") whereas in fact
> what you're grabbing is what's stored at "these".  So to me its
> "direct" quality is a little too direct.

Fair enough.  Although the human mind soon resolves the issue by determining
the meaning based on context (it can only mean one thing, really), and then
noting what a clever choice of method name it is ;)

> >  I would prefer #values_of to #find_at, because #values is a great
> > choice which can't be used for technical reasons.
>
> How about #values_at ?

I can dig that.  Quite nice, actually.  Could hardly be any clearer, and is not
a handful to type or read.

> David

Gavin