> |Thanks. Wouldn't it be useful to have some special-name, autoloading
> |script? It would be the necessary starting point in defining a standard
> |for what happens at Ruby's startup time.
> I think this should be an application issue.  Since Ruby is a general
> purpose language, autoloading startup script that is loaded all the
> time is not as useful as it seems.

mmm... after reading your message, I decided to definitely put aside my
autoload desires and a

set RUBYOPT=-re:/wip/ruby/autorun.rb

appeared in my AUTOEXEC.BAT :-) Ok, I can live with it, especially since
I realized that I was solving an autoload issue using another autoload
mechanism :-)

The first draft of autorun.rb is probably a collection of Ruby horrors
(some of them wanted, since I was doing some experiments with scope rules
while I was at it) however here it goes:

module AutoRun

	class CFile
		def CFile.each(filename,&block)
		#read a file line by line, skipping
		#blank lines and comments
		#no reason to define a class, 'twas just
		#an experiment
			if FileTest.exist?(filename)
				f=open(filename,'r')
				f.each {|l|
					l1=l.chomp.sub(/#.*/,'').strip
					yield(l1) if l1.size>0
				}
				f.close

@@dir,@@fname=File.split(__FILE__)

def AutoRun.putex(e,msg)
	puts "#{@@fname}: #{msg}:\n  #{e.class}: #{e.message}"
end

autopathname=File.join(@@dir,'autopath')
CFile.each(autopathname) { |l|
	if FileTest.directory?(l)
		# puts "Adding #{l}"
		$:.unshift(l)
	else
		puts "#{@@fname}: #{l} is not a valid dir (in
#{autopathname})"
	end
}

autolibname=File.join(@@dir,'autolib')
puts autolibname
CFile.each(autolibname) { |l|
	begin
		require l
	rescue Exception => e
		putex e,"error loading #{l} (in #{autolibname})"
	end
}

$:.each {|p|
	sitecustomizename=File.join(p,'sitecustomize.rb')
	if FileTest.exist?(sitecustomizename)
		begin
			require sitecustomizename
		rescue Exception => e
			putex e,"error loading #{sitecustomizename}"
		else
			break
}

end

I feel like there is something strange/wrong in using @@dir and @@fname
to make them visible in AutoRun.putex(), but it works and... it is a
different issue, anyway. Think I'll go back and study a little more :-)

Bye, Andrea