In article <3D8A90F4.8080400 / path.berkeley.edu>,
Joel VanderWerf  <vjoel / PATH.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
>Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>..
>> We want to have a new method to replace "indices", because of
>> inconsistency between "indices" (or "indexes") and "index". "index"
>> returns index of a value, "indices" returns values corresponding to
>> indices.
>>
>> A new method (say "quux" for example) should satisfy
>>
>>   * obj.quux(a,b,c) returns [obj[a],obj[b],obj[c]] for all indexable
>>     collections (i.e. Array, Hash, MatchData and Struct), perhaps
>>     except for String, which is mere string of characters rather than
>>     indexable collection.  So preferably it should sound natural both
>>     for arrays, hashes and others.
>>
>>   * obj.quux() either returns an empty array or causes exception, due
>>     to the case like obj.quux(*ary) where ary is an empty array.
>
>I have to agree, that's the right behavior. So we will have
>
>[0,1,2,3,4].entries   #==> [0,1,2,3,4]
>[0,1,2,3,4].quux      #==> []            (or an exception)
>
>So far, so good. But what should the name be? Both "items" and
>"elements" seem too close to entries in their natural language meaning.
>There were good arguments against using "at" (doesn't seem to fit
>hashes, reduces efficiency of Array#at).
>
>Does "indexable collection" mean anything that responds to #[] ?
>
>If so, then proc and method objects come into play, and the perfect name
>would make sense for them as well. But in this case the quux method
>would be just another way of writing #map, so maybe this isn't important
>to consider after all.

- - How about "axiom_of_choice[1]" ? That's really what you're
  implementing. You could use "zermelo" or "zerm" for
  short. Nobody but a mathematical logican will have any prior
  meaning attached to that. Just think of the possiblities:

  "Yeah, I need to zerm the Hash"

  "Hey is Mailbox class zermable ?"

- - Personally, I kind of like "choose", but I think that's
  already been rejected in this debate.

- - Booker C. Bense

[1] - http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/ccc/choice.html