On Sunday, September 22, 2002, at 01:58 AM, ts wrote:

> R> 3) Does method(:name).id return the id of the method instance, or
> the
> R> name?
>
>  #method create a new object.

ARGH! You are right. It makes a copy so you can use it as a closure.
'ri' misled me in it's first sentence Then how does one simply look up
a method for a class w/o creating a copy of it? I need to find and
alias all methods that are the same as the one that I'm interested in.

I have a feeling that the things I've been touching upon lately hint
that ruby's reflection model is a bit wack and could be made cleaner,
but at what cost? I'd like for reflection methods to return the real
thing. If I want a closure, I can make a proc out of it on my own. We
could even add a to_proc or to_closure method to make that clearer.
method(:blah).to_closure seems the ruby way to me.

>  #id just return the ID of this object
>
> R> 4) If #3=instance, what is the rationale for rb_alias to create a
> new
> R> method entirely via NEW_METHOD(NEW_FBODY(...))?
>
>  See the comment in the source

What comment? The only comment I see for rb_alias is /* was alias */,
which doesn't help me a bit. I'm looking at 1.7-2002-07-15. Should I be
looking at 1.6? This behavior exists in both versions.

For a nearly 10k line file, I'd kinda hope for more than 173 comments.