From: Lyle Johnson [mailto:lyle / users.sourceforge.net]
Sent: Friday, 20 September 2002 15:21
To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: Attribute Access Problems

Matthew, Graeme wrote:

> I'm just not getting this!

Don't Panic!

> What am I doing wrong here, this is taking way to long :-(
>
> c:/dev/cgi-bin/Project.rb:80:in `DisplayProject': undefined method
> `projectName' for #<Project:0x25dfae0> (NameError)

OK, I know you can read, but just to clarify: this error message is
telling you that you're trying to call an instance method named
"projectName" for the "Project" class, but there is no instance method
by that name.

> I'm now using instance variables
>
> def projectName=(val)
> 		@projectName = val if val
> 		return @projectName
> end

This looks fine, but keep in mind that "projectName=()" (a "setter"
method) and "projectName()" (a "getter" method) are *two* different
method names...

> but it's failing here in my document:

> value="#{self.projectName}"></td></tr>

Although we can't see all of the code for your "Project" class, I'm
guessing that you didn't define a "projectName" accessor method to
complement the "projectName=" method. A quick way to do this (since you
also have a "@projectName" instance variable) is to use the attr_reader
method:

     class Project
       attr_reader :projectName
     end

A more verbose (but otherwise equivalent) way to do it is to explicitly
code-up the method:

     class Project
       def projectName
         @projectName

If you don't already have "Programming Ruby" (a.k.a. the "Pickaxe" book)
I'd recommend you pick up a copy. It's also available for free online.
The second chapter:

	http://www.rubycentral.com/book/tut_classes.html

has a section entitled "Objects and Attributes" that does a very nice
job of explaining what's going on.

Hope this helps,

Lyle
__

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged.
If you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you
prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information
contained herein.  Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return
e-mail.

Thank you for your cooperation.

ec03/04