----- Original Message -----
From: "Berger, Daniel" <djberge / qwest.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 12:02 PM
Subject: RE: visual ruby

> > I just want to find the Visual Ruby project, and find this page:
> >
> > http://www.activestate.com/Corporate/Copyright.html
> >
> > That's why this project called VisualuRuby or sg. like that?
>
> That's very interesting.  Can you trademark a product that doesn't exist?
> Or do they have something in the works?

My limited understanding: You don't "trademark a product."

A trademark is a name, an entity in itself. If you own a
trademark, and you have a product named that... well, you
have the right to use that name for that product. But you
don't have to have an associated product in order to own a
trademark.

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

As an analogy, some companies (whom I won't name) will
register domains like "verizonsucks.com" just to keep
anyone else from registering it. But there won't necessarily
be a web site there.

<offtopic>Which will lead certain magazines (which won't be
named) to register incredibly long domains like:
VerizonShouldSpendLessMoneyOnLawyersAndMoreMoneyImprovingTheirNetworks.com
</offtopic>

Hal