Hi,

If the development time is an important factor, then probably it is better
to use Ruby NArray where the data byte size can really be controlled
(1/2/4 bytes), rather than using Strings.  Also, I think NArray gives more
natural built-in methods then a string (e.g., the String [fixNum] method
returns the code of the character at that position, instead of the "direct
value").

Regards,

Bill