"Pierre Brengard" <pbrengard / bct-technology.com> wrote in message
news:3D8825AE.7030603 / bct-technology.com...

> >I don't think Racc can compile from MS Visual Studio.  I imagine this is
> >barrier to including it in the Win distribution, since it is compiled
from
> >MSVC.  I may be wrong.
> >

> yes, it can compile. You just have to fix the setup.rb script and
> replace 'make' by 'nmake' as the make tool. It should compile.

I tested it. No problem at all - as mentioned - just replace make with nmake
and follow the instructions calling setup.rb three times using config, setup
and install as arguments.
Also rename racc to racc.rb in the bin directory so can execute racc
directly from the commandline on Windows XP.
Then "racc .../sample/calc.y" followed by "calc.tab.rb" and you got a
running calculator.

racc has an -E switch to create self contained parsers - the calc.y sample
grows from 4 to 17K of ruby code using the -E switch. That's a pretty
tolerable overhead.

I still haven't tested rbison, but it appears to require bison to do it's
job which makes racc more attractive - certainly for windows users.

Mikkel