On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 02:33 AM, Det wrote:

> Friedrich Dominicus <frido / q-software-solutions.com> wrote in message
> news:<87hegq5wes.fsf / fbigm.here>...
>> This is correct the Modell notifies the Controller or the other way
>> round the Controller queries the modell for needed input
>
> Hum, there are some different views of what a controller
> is or how the M, V and C should look like. They are much
> influenced by the GUI-framework one uses or the overall
> architecture which should be built.
> Therefore MVC is in modern reading not named a 'pattern'
> any more but a 'paradigm' (and everytime causes a lot of
> discussion in developer teams).
>
> As with the classical view IMHO there is a triangle
> between M,V and C. So the Modell notifies the *View*, not
> the Controller.

I seen this notion of a  "triangle" in some of the early explication of
MVC but it's always seemed to be a case of Sapir-Worff in action. The
Smalltalk programmers who talk about this case correctly note that
sometimes the model is volatile from the POV  of the user because the
program is responding to messages that are coming from elsewhere; the
system, the network, or another user. The Smalltalk guys were stuck in
a single inheritance world so they tried to overlay a
notification/subscriber pattern on top of MVC and came up with this
triangle variant.

IMHO, that's not the Ruby way. With Mixins one can set up a
notification system that reasonably orthogonal to the MVC structure of
the app. Much cleaner.
---
The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900)