"Yukihiro Matsumoto" <matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote in message
news:1032187553.528959.21468.nullmailer / picachu.netlab.jp...
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: private variables"
>     on 02/09/16, William Djaja Tjokroaminata <billtj / y.glue.umd.edu> writes:
>
> |Well, will these localized/private variables make it into the next Ruby
> |release?  Because there were some previous objections regarding the single
> |leading underscore ("I have used leading underscore in my current instance
> |variables"), or regarding the symmetry ("It will not look balanced"), will
> |there be any vote on the format of the localized variables:
> |
> |    @_x
> |    @__x
> |    @_x_
> |    @__x__ (ala Python ?)
> |    (or some other second character indicator, such as @#x and @%x ?)
> |
> |Or will Matz decide on this?
>
> I will.  Somewhere around "@_x" and "@__x".  I don't care about the
> balancing.  Those who care may put extra "__" after varriable names.

or being my repetitive self

      _@x

This probably breaks no (non-obfuscating) existing
code and is quite distinct from regular instance (and
local) variables.

/Christoph

Ps.  I am very curious about your opinion on Dave's

   _block_local_variable_idea

(Sorry Dave, hopefully you won't be haunted by  ``the
ghosts that you called'';-).