There is A LOT of java code that backs this OpenCyc project (see CVS).
It's basically a full implementation of a constraint-based expert system
engine to process their ontology.  Its very cool, and I've thought for a
while that doing this stuff in Ruby would whip Java's ass...but then I
am biased ;-)  I think this code is being open-sourced because Cycorp is
being partially funded through a couple of DARPA projects and they are
demanding open-source.

The first thing to do would be to separate what you need to get a core
up and running from the DARPA project specific stuff.  If you do that
(and develop a list of Java class's functionality that would have to be
ported to Ruby) please post your findings here (or to me personally if
none other are interested)

Best Regards,

-rich