Not worked on it but have interest as well.

Apple just released their iCal application (for OS X) which uses
iCalendar [RFC 2445] format for exchanging calendar entries.

Doing quick research brought me to this page:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/calsch-charter.html

And the XML format for iCalendar is particularly interesting:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-calsch-many-xcal-02.txt

I think that ultimately the XML format is a better idea...since
everything else is headed XML.

-rich