On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 13:02, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:

> 1) The use of the keyword "private"
> Any methods defined after this keyword is private.  So probably we can
> make any new instance variables created after this keyword to be also
> private.  But mixing the private and non-private variables will be
> confusing.

private variables being differnt from local ones how? further can a
keyword like this work?. other keywords are just shorthands aren't they?
well, maybe it can.

> 2) The use of a new symbol.
> Ruby is to some extent influenced by Perl, and in Perl "$", "@", and
> "%" are used to denote the type of variables.  Ruby has used "$" and
> "@" for special meaning for variables, so this suggests to use "%" prefix
> for private variables.

you see that's interesting. that's what i purposed for local variables
to end writer method ambiguities. ie. does x = 1 mean local variable x =
1, or self.x = 1.

-tom

--
tom sawyer, aka transami