Hi all,

On #ruby-lang tonight, the topic of disabling exceptions came up.  In Perl,
for example, you can temporarily (or permanately) disable particular (or all)
warnings via a "no warnings" pragma.  I'm told CommonLisp also has something
along these lines.

Ignoring the "is it wise" for the moment, is it *possible* to disable
exceptions in Ruby?  i.e. something along the lines of:

Errno::EEXIST.ignore # ignore exception globally
Errno::EEXIST.ignore{...} # ignore exception for block only

I know there are questions:

"What about classes/modules that expect those exceptions to be defined?"

"Could we use file scope via __FILE__"?

"Wouldn't a no-op work just as well?"

"Is this even possible in the current version of Ruby?"

I don't know the answer to any of the above questions, and I'm sure there are
even more questions than I'm listing.

But, that's why I'm asking you all. :)

Regards,

Dan

PS - Some parts of this message inspired/stolen from seanc, matju and
zenspider