Hal E. Fulton (hal9000 / hypermetrics.com) wrote:
[...]
>  In any case, I wouldn't favor adding this to Ruby,
>  as variables have no types; and thus how do you
>  define a method "signature"?

That is one problem (though optional type annotations can be used, as in
CLOS). The other problem is that multi-methods tend to play hell with
encapsulation and module systems. (It can be done, but you'll end up
with a language that looks and acts quite different from what you had
before.)

The fact of the matter is that in most cases double dispatch does the
job well enough without messing up encapsulation.

[...]

			Reimer Behrends