Btw, if this mailing list is hostile to OT chatter, I'm fine with taking
  such conversations to private channels.  I'm new here, so be gentle. =)

>>I'm looking for resources on getting Ruby running on an HP 200lx:
>>http://www.hp.com/cposupport/prodhome/pt200lx.html
>>This is an 8086.
>
> That's a fascinating idea... at first I thought
> it might be implausible, but then I remembered
> that Windows 3.0 (but not 3.1) will actually
> run on this platform.
>
> Hey, I was about to sell my old HP... but if
> you accomplish this, it might be just enough
> reason (read: excuse) to keep it. :)

I got 32MB of memory and a doublespeed upgrade for my 200lx.  It's a
completely different beast with the additions.  As soon as I get around
to it, I'll have some of that space used as EMM too. =)

I've been told that windows 3.0 is a pig and won't run particularly
well.. but everything I've been running on my palm so far has been great
so I'm hoping Ruby works well.

Right now, I'm only barely competant at dealing with this sort of
software, letalone doing actual programming.  I'm a natural with
scripting though, so i'm hoping things work out.  I take my 200lx
everywhere with me, so i'm hoping I can do this too.. heh.  Yes, if i
were to become competant enough, I'd take care of supprorting a DOS
16bit port myself.  Heck, I'm still thinking of taking over the hplx
games site and some other stuff..  the only prospects which exist for
replacing this babe are a java/linux palm, and the eightythree.
http://www.tiqit.com/eightythree.html

Btw, I was also looking at doing some hardware hacking and adding in
backliting.. others have done it, but it's supposed to be rather
difficult.. I think I may put in led's and have a rim of light around
the screen.  I also wanted to tear it apart and make it a couple of cms
smaller by removing excess case, but that's on the back burner right now.

> OT: I don't suppose you know how to get a
> Sundisk card to work properly under Windows ME?
> I've been trying to suck the old data off onto
> my laptop. Lost my connectivity cable long ago.
>
> Cheers,
> Hal

Do you mean "Sandisk"?  I'm familiar with that particular brand..  I've
been able to stick my card into a laptop and trade between it and a palm
without any special drivers or whatnot.  The laptop was also a winME
box.  If you don't have a connectivity cable, I can find the resources
for you to hack your own if you're brave, otherwise you can purchase
them relatively cheaply here:
http://www.palmtoppaper.com/store/asp/prodtype.asp?prodtype=36
Your choice of transfer methods. =)
You may want to look into doing an IR transfer.  I've never done it
myself, but it's supposed to be easy enough.  There is a windows
software package that HP provide(s|d) which understands the laplink
stuff native on the palm.  (I can get it for you easily enough, I
maintain an archive on the side)

---

Cheers,
Sy