Steve Tuckner <STUCKNER / MULTITECH.COM> wrote in message news:<009701c258d6$4f2f49e0$6904a8c0 / multitech.prv>...
> How do I find all occurances of in the code where objects of type Foo
> are doing foo[index]? Searching for [] is no help because that is likely
> all over the code. There are no type declarations to find instances of
> foo. I can search for Foo.new and follow it through functions, etc but
> that is often not simple.
>
> Unit tests are helpful to see if my code still works, but even with them
> I don't feel completely secure that I have caught all instances.

hmm.  I tend to write extra unit tests in ruby, so that I can have
confidence that they walk over all branches of the code.

I wouldn't worry to much about it if you deleted the [] method.  You
know that it will crash hard, and the thrown NameError will tell you
exactly where, so if it does happen it won't be a hard bug to fix.

~ Patrick