William Djaja Tjokroaminata <billtj / z.glue.umd.edu> writes:

> If we say yes, then in Ruby we will use both "if" and "unless", but then
> because "unless" is so useful, when we code in C, we are supposed to
> define the "unless macro" and make good use of both "if" and "unless".
>
> If we say no, then there is actually no need for the keyword "unless",
> just like Python which is doing fine by being minimalist in terms of
> keywords.

There are phrases in French that are very useful, and yet which have
no direct English counterpart. Should we:

1. Translate them word for word, and insert them in to English?
2. Stop the French using them?
3. Celebrate the fact that different languages are different and get
   on with the important business, which is using each effectively?

If you don't like 'unless', then by all means don't use it. If others
do, then I see no need to stop them.

Cheers

Dave