William Djaja Tjokroaminata <billtj / z.glue.umd.edu> wrote in message news:<ali6js$llu$3 / grapevine.wam.umd.edu>...
> Oh yes, there is no doubt about it.  I just regretted that for a clever
> man as Larry Wall, he still does not want to learn from his language
> successor or to admit that the language "art" has progressed much since he
> first wrote Perl.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill

i have a great deal of respect for Mr. Wall as i was a perl programmer
for many years.  however, i couldn't bring myself to read his critique
of ruby.  to me it's like asking the maker of Coke to give an overview
of Pepsi as a soft-drink product.  unless he's worked with ruby
hands-on and has experience using the language to write real world
projects, i don't feel the need to listen to his evaluation.

the idea of appreciating a language for how it "feels" when you
program seems like it was the last on the list of priorities when they
created perl.  how they kludge'd OO into perl 5 is such a great
example.  looking back i don't think i ever enjoyed writing a perl
program.  it reminds me so much of BASIC.  it's functional, it gets
the job done, but don't expect much more out of it.

ruby is a different ballgame altogether.  it seems so heavily
influenced by eastern philosphy, the theory of feng shui, path of
least resistance, etc.  something only a true ruby programmer can
understand, feel, and appreciate.