Austin Ziegler wrote:

> However, as someone who uses Ruby and might consider JRuby, it does
> matter to me. As such, it's definitely my right and responsibility
> to comment. It's also my right and responsibility to raise this
> issue in a forum where the original copyright holders -- who appear
> not to have been consulted about the choice of only one of the two
> available licences -- can be notified.

Hi Austin,

I've seen smoother entry to a user community than calling the software's
licence "nasty". ;-)

> I think, then, that there's a problem. My understanding is that when
> a program is dual-licensed, you have the option of accepting it
> under either of the licences available. However, modified versions
> *must* be released under both (or all) existing licences. I've put
> this question to Lawrence Rosen (lrosen / rosenlaw.com) who writes for
> one of LJ or LM. I haven't given details except the fact that the
> original project is under GNU GPL and/or artistic-style and the
> forked project is only available under GNU GPL.

Once one has chosen a licence, that licence applies to both useing,
modifying and distributing, as far as I understand. But I'm not really
interested in any legal hair-splitting. Our intentions are simply to
find the licencing that works best. As you so bluntly pointed out,
GPL-only doesn't work well for JRuby.

> I am curious, though: why didn't the main contributors want to use
> Ruby's licences (both of them)?

From what I've heard, the problem was mostly that a few details in the
Ruby licence don't work well with a Java program. But the main reason is
probably that the Ruby syntax parser that was used as the start of the
JRuby project was GPLed, so the easiest thing was to just continue with
that.
Now we're in the middle of changing licences, but these things take
time.

/Anders

--

A n d e r s  B e n g t s s o n  |  ndrsbngtssn / yahoo.se
Stockholm, Sweden               |

Gratis e-mail resten av livet pwww.yahoo.se/mail
Busenkelt!