Harry Ohlsen wrote:
> I think the way to look at this is to think "who" it is that does the
> renaming.  In the case of a file, it's effectively the filesystem that
> does

Very fair - but that doesn't necessarily mean that the filesystem should
be implemented as class methods on the File class either. I've used a
"FileService" interface which encapsulates the filesystem behaviours. It's
possible to implement most of a FileService over ftp, or DAV, for example,
which is quite nice. I've even remoted a FileService into another user's
context to operate with alternate permissions. I don't know what would
have been the best way to do this in Ruby, perhaps as a mixin?

--
Clifford Heath