Albert Wagner wrote:

> Well, for starters:  any browser, refactoring or otherwise, is dealing with
> source code, not the run time product of executing that code.
Yes and therefore it is an almost impossible task for it to
solve the problems we were dicussing about.

>>This level of reflexivity (meta-programming) is a very concise feature in
>>Ruby and of great value for me and I would (and could)
>>not want to give up this features for a refactoring browser.
>

> Why would you have to give up anything just because someone else uses a tool?
Do you misunderstand me deliberately, or is my English so bad?
Well, for dummies:
I would use the meta-programming capabilities if I had to choose between
them and the refactoring browser. Anyone else does what he/she wants.
Is it OK?

> All you have described above about Ruby is true in spades for Smalltalk.  Yet,
> Smalltalk has and makes good use of refactoring browsers.  I think you are
> confusing source code with run time dynamics.

I believe you, but it does not mean that I confuse the source code with
runtime dynamics. I just meant: if you want to have a really good
refactoring browser, then it has to understand the possible effects of
runtime dynamics otherwise it won't be able to handle the task you
want to delegate to it.

Side remark: I do not appreciate your unpolite tone, which is quite
atypical for this list.

Best regards, Christian