Massimiliano Mirra <list / NOSPAMchromatic-harp.com> wrote in message news:<20020905160729.A5055 / ws10.rcost-p.unisannio.it>...

> [thx for the information]
>
> > how actively is it being developed?
>
> The only actively developed ruby project in a busy life. :-)

don't we all have this problem.  Still, busy-ness is good :-)

> > + When I was bouncing ideas around, I thought that some kind of
> > integration with RAA would be an important feature for such a utility.
> >  Perhaps the RAA could fill out the fields of an entry from an
> > uploaded rpt, and rpkg could query RAA for packages?
>
> The biggest priority is a flat database of available packages that can
> be downloaded/rsynced, then queried offline, like Debian's.
>
> I don't plan integrating rpkg with the current RAA, I'm afraid that
> would be kludgy at best.  As an online service (for when the flat
> database part will be in place) I'm considering LDAP.

What if there was an option to upload a package *to* RAA, instead of
using rpkg to download from RAA?  For example:

[~]# rpkg --upload-raa narf.package
Extracting information from package...
  Project Name: Narf
      Version: alpha
               that escape the weighty thud that one usually
               associates with web frameworks. We want to build a
               variety of solutions to help with every layer of
               building web applications, from the ground (cgi) up
               (to design patterns)

Please enter RAA pass phrase: *********
Updating information...
                       ...Done
[~]#

Would it be difficult to add this meta data to rpkg?  I'm sure much of
it is there in some form or another.  Of course, this work should be
done by those who actually want the feature :-)

Since RAA (or Google, but that's a different story) is the main
destination for one browsing for packages, I think it is important for
a package system to make it easy to update that information.  This
kind of feature could make it easier to 'ease' into a different
packaging system.

~ Patrick