paul / prescod.net wrote:

> The consistency of Python code makes me more confident that I can bring on
> new programmers quickly.

Ruby has nothing to complain about "newbie friendliness"...

> Non-blocking threads
Ruby has them...

> and Unicode are important
Yes, Ruby is not completely mature in this regards, but there are
serious efforts as far as I know.

> mature than JRuby). I don't know if Ruby has something like distutils
> which builds modules using the platform-native tools no matter the
> platform.

mkmf generates platform dependent makefiles for the extensions, if
you mean that.

> So basically Python has more infrastructure. The only deep issue that
> would make me prefer Python to Ruby is the code consistency and general
> language simplicity issue. That's important to me. There are parts of Ruby
> I prefer too.

It seems to be a matter of taste. (To me Ruby code looks somwhat more
appealing.) Altohugh, I learned surprising lot from this aesthetics
discusion...

I don't want a religious war, but it seems that your preferences
have mainly quite subjective reasons. (which is no problem, of course...)

Best Regards, Christian