On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the comprehensive discussion.  Technically, I don't have any
> objection with everything that you said.  The point is, however, as
> also already mentioned by some other people, to protect against the
> "accidental" access by, say, mistyping.

But if you use the double-underscores accidental misuse is as impossible
as in a language with a "private" keyword.

You could argue that Python's default encourages an "open" model rather
than a closed one and that this will lead novices in the wrong direction.
That's fair enough as long as we understand that it is different than
saying that Python does not have built-in information hiding.

> By the way, since it seems that you know so much about Python and there
> seems to be some positive bias towards Python, may I know the reason you
> are following this discussion group (to take the good ideas from Ruby to
> be applied in Python, maybe, just like the iterators :) )?  I have left
> the Python discussion group since I switched to Ruby.

I think that there are good ideas in Ruby worth understanding. If I were
ever given a job that involved Ruby I would be happier than in almost any
other language. But when I choose the language I do value features that
Python has over Ruby.

 Paul Prescod