On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 03:28:38AM +0900, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:

> By the way, since it seems that you know so much about Python and there
> seems to be some positive bias towards Python, may I know the reason you
> are following this discussion group (to take the good ideas from Ruby to
> be applied in Python, maybe, just like the iterators :) )?  I have left
> the Python discussion group since I switched to Ruby.

What, are people only allowed to use one language? Are we going to have
to sign loyalty oaths to participate in the Ruby community?

I can't speak for Paul Prescod, but I am also an experienced Python
developer who has recently taken an interest in Ruby. Why? Partly
because I appreciate elegant language design, partly because it's new
and different, partly because I have connections to Japan and may want
to work there again someday. I still like Python, too, and if I had to
choose one or the other today, I would pick Python--not because I think
it's better, but simply because I know people will pay me to write
Python.

It seems people who like both Python and Ruby are the minority, but so
what? As far as I'm concerned, they're both tools, neither is perfect,
and I'd like to be able to use both. No hidden agendas here.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA