On Wednesday 04 September 2002 23:24, Hal E. Fulton wrote:
> From: "michael libby" <x / ichimunki.com>

> Good, very good so far. Um, what's a "Bayesian" spam filter?

There I go assuming everyone reads the same stuff I do... check out
http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html for a good explanation of how this
works. Examples are in LISP.

> I've thought of assigning positive and negative weights to keywords in
> a stoplist and an anti-stoplist. Is it anything like that?
>
> Or is it perhaps an AI type of thing where you tell the app "This is
> spam" and it tries to learn what spam is?

Both. It's not really AI, so much as training the filter. It learns what
spam is by using some probabilities calculations to assign weights to all
the words in email, then it examines each new email based on a set of the
heaviest/lightest weight words. The words, in effect, are indicators of
the likelihood that an email is spam.

> I'd forgotten that part if I ever knew. What good is a web interface,
> anyway? Serious question, not sarcasm.

Set it up, go on a trip, access your email from any web browser without the
need for Hotmail? Solves the problem on your LAN, as well, since you can
now access your email from any machine without any special fileserver
setup. Solves the problem of which toolkit to use, too. The disadvantage
is that web browsers have the worst text editing facilities known to man.
Cut and paste from text editor of choice would solve that.

> Have you looked at the (pre-alpha) FreeRIDE project? They've wrapped
> the Scintilla widget so that the editor is SciTE-like. (I have no
> previous familiarity with those things, but it seems pretty cool.)
>
> We're going to develop an editor API so that scripts can be written
> in Ruby. This might at some point in the future make a nice plug-in
> replacement for parts of your app.

I have looked at FreeRIDE a little. I will look at it some more. I'm not
yet a fan of Fox/Scintilla, and FreeRIDE looked a bit over my head.

> But you're probably building in much the same functionality now.

Not sure. My first goal was to get to where the program would be minimally
useful for developing the program. That stage is done. Imagine a doctor
performing surgery on herself. Now she can sew on new limbs and replace
any existing body part at will.

> I don't really *hate* Tk, but it does look a little clunky to me.
> Particularly such things as the Listbox widget.

Hmmm. I personally don't care for the checkboxes or the radioboxes and find
it *very* annoying that it doesn't have a native way to display images
that aren't either GIF or PPM. But otherwise I like its simplicity, both
in form and function.

> Hmm. I wonder if someone should make an "email client library" to handle
> the common stuff... then it would be simpler for people to develop these
> things, and there would be more to pick from.

There are some email libraries on the RAA. We ought to look at those-- at
least as a starting point. No sense reinventing the wheel.

 -michael

Michael C. Libby <x / ichimunki.com>
public key: http://www.ichimunki.com/public_key.txt
web site: http://www.ichimunki.com