Hi

I have been programming Ruby on a daily basis for
over 18 months now. As I look back I think, wow, that
is a long time to be so singularly committed to a
programming language (ok, so I may be a little weird,
but wait a minute... I think that is a given for
programmer types...). Over that time, I have received
support from the courteous and intelligent folks on this
list. So, after 18 months experiencing the joy of
programming in Ruby, I think it is time to show
my thanks and my commitment by repaying some of my
debt to the Ruby cummunity.

Therefore, if I may be so bold, I would like to
volunteer to head the documentation standardization
probject for Ruby. I am sure there are many that
may be more qualified or do a better job at this.
If so, I will gladly step aside for anyone who
feels particularly called to do this activity.
As for myself, I think it is important enough
to warrant action sooner rather than later. Thus,
the reason for my proposal.

I have followed the discussions on this subject and
there have been many good comments. But now I think
it is an appropriate time to inject a little organization
into this project and move it forward on a steady basis.

Below is a list of actions that I think will help get
our cause started:

 1. Form a ruby-doc mailing list to begin discussions
    related to documentation.
 2. Form a Ruby Document Organizing Committee (RDOC)
    for purpose of officially reviewing the document
    standardization process and voting on
    decisions (of course Matz has ultimate veto power).
 3. Start a web page to publicize the activities
    of the documentation project.
 4. Start the paper work for the standardization process.
    a Gather Requirements and write Requirements specification.
      i. get feedback from community
      ii. have committee review and approve
    b. Write functional specification
      i. get feedback from community
      ii. have committee review and approve
    c. Create design document
      i. get feedback from community
      ii. have committee review and approve
    4. Implement RDOC process and develop tools
    5. Integrate 4 into releases of Ruby

I welcome your comments along the lines:

  a) this is a good idea, let's get going
     and I want to be on the committee
  b) what, are you crazy??
  c) good idea, but I can do a lot better
     job than you...
  d) it's all hopeless, I am going back to
     programming in perl.

Cheers
--
Jim Freeze