On Wednesday 04 September 2002 00:29, Hal E. Fulton wrote:
> Speaking from my limitless ignorance, I'd say that
> it should be possible to keep the PGP portion as an
> attachment *without* converting the main piece of
> text into an attachment as well. But I don't really
> know how MIME works.
>
> In other words, I don't feel a pressing need for them
> to be unified, as long as the main text can be read
> without opening a separate attachment.

I suppose a good mail client should be able to handle all of the above or
be flexible enough to make it easy to handle all of the above. Not sure if
such a client exists at this time.

> You're writing an email client? In Ruby, I assume/hope?
> With what GUI?

Yes, actually a multi-purpose text editor in Ruby using Tk-- essentially a
set of menus and an base Editor class/widget. The base editor is then
subclassed into "modes"-- in my first iteration, one mode will be a
rudimentary Ruby source code editor,  two modes will be email related-- a
"directory" browser and an email message editor-- and a help mode (not
entirely sure of how this will look yet, but the guts are already there to
do something, um, helpful). So it's more like emacs, and less like
Outlook.

My main goals for the email components: ability to handle PGP signatures,
built-in Bayesian spam filtering, and basic stuff like having an inbox,
local mail storage, ability to send, receive, read, reply, forward an
email.

So far I can barely send email with the program. I've spent most of my time
so far getting a functional base editor class rolling and building the
application's framework, including the ability to self-modify via eval and
"rebuild" the application while it's running.

> I'm interested in a Ruby email client (see the thread
> a few weeks back). I've looked into SGmail, but I can't
> run it until I figure out how to compile the one last
> missing piece (uconv) on Windows.

I looked into that too. But I'm too lazy to install modules, so I never did
finish installing the program. It did look interesting in that it appears
to provide a web interface.

> And anyhow, I think it is Tk-based, so I'm not sure
> how much I'd like the look-and-feel.

I'm sure my project will be a disappointment in this regard, but I believe
I've got a design that will make it possible (if not easy) to port to
either a console mode (i.e. curses) or to another toolkit.

I hope to have some draft code in a public place by the end of next week. I
will certainly announce it on ruby-talk once I do.

 -michael

Michael C. Libby <x / ichimunki.com>
public key: http://www.ichimunki.com/public_key.txt
web site: http://www.ichimunki.com