sera / fhwang.net (Francis Hwang) writes:

> So now I'm looking around for ways to speed things up. Using modruby
> is probably an option, but I'm unsure as to whether that'll do what I
> need ... I know it keeps the Ruby interpreter in memory, but I really
> need something that might keep loaded classes in memory. Does modruby
> do that, or is that too much to ask? And failing that, what do people
> think would be the next best option for me to pursue?

I have that same problem, and mod_ruby does help. There's still the
lag the first time the code is loaded, but from then on it runs just
fine.

Breaking the app up slightly helps, but unfortunately I made the
mistake of persisting state using instances of my own classes: this
leads to a problem when running multiple mod_ruby processes and the
one that picks up a session doesn't have the same set of classes
loaded as the one the previously saved that session: it raises
exceptions during the deserialization.

I'm still working on the start-up overhead, though, so if you come up
with any wonderful ideas please share them

Dave