On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 15:00, nico wrote:

> IMHO, for a language to become standard (like C and C++) it can't be
> controlled by a single company. I consider Ruby to have an advantage over
> Java because it isn't proprietary.

Agreed.

> Ruby won't get a chance to compete with Java... because java will be dead in a
> couple of years.

Nice thought, but I'm not -that- optimistic. Unlike perl, Python, some
others, which were introduced in mainstream corporate use from the
grassroots level in a somewhat subversive manner, Java was "sold" to the
decision makers. As a result, there is a huge investment in Java-based
solutions throughout the corporate world, one which the decision makers
(especially those most responsible for buying into the Java hype) will
actively protect.

Regards,

Kent Starr