On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 14:04, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:
> I am really amazed if Ruby is really compared against Java, especially in
> the corporate world.  I feel it is just not a level playing field.  Ruby
> is an open source product, while Java has all the muscles of Sun (not
> counting other companies such as IBM) to support it.

Oops, my bad. I -meant- that a proper comparison IMO is Ruby as a
preferable alternative to Java. No one that I know of is seriously
considering this at present (in the US). But, no one was taking
seriously my assertion back in 1982 that microcomputers would be on
every desktop.

> Has there been a real case of Ruby replacing Java in an official corporate
> project (not an individual/team effort)?  Does the Ruby community really
> feel that Ruby may someday compete against Java?

No cases yet AFAIK; I just tend to think ahead of my time :-)

But, Ruby offers a number of advantages. It is far better at solutions
to simple problems, lends itself quite well to customization and the
published C API provides a wealth of possibilities for seriously
remoulding the language which are not available (by definition) with
proprietray tools.In addition, it is at once both far more terse -and-
expressive, an important consideration in maintainabilty.

Regards,

Kent Starr