----- Original Message -----
From: "Overnight" <NOSPAM_jazz_x / libero.it_NOSPAM.web-hosting.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ruby
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 5:45 PM
Subject: Newbie Qs: startup time, Module.constants, chdir, Ruby distro's
library

> 1) on my *monster* PC (a glorious 200mhz Pentium box with W98...), Ruby's
> startup time is about 1 second (e.g., ruby -e "p 'hello world'" takes 1
> second) Isn't it too much?
> Using IRB is even worse: it takes about 2/3 seconds to show the first
> prompt, and about 0.5 seconds to process every line. Is this normal? Is
> it time for me to think to a Pentium II? :-)
> I'm using Ruby 1.6.7, installed from ruby-1.6.7-i586-mswin32.zip (sorry,
> I don't remember the exact version of the executable I downloaded, but
> it's the one which does not require Cygwin or other support environments)

I do think Ruby has a slow startup time. Probably worse on
Windows, probably worse still on a slow box like yours (or
mine).

> 2) after browsing the Pragmatic Programmer's Guide, I did some tests with
> Module.constants and Module#constants. Now I really don't understand the
> following:

My short answer is that classes can inherit from other classes,
but a module can't inherit from anything. Maybe there is a
better explanation.

> Andrea (which, FYI, is a *male* name here in Italy :-) )

Of course, as in Andrea del Sarto... ;)

Hal