On September 4, 2002 02:04 pm, William Djaja Tjokroaminata wrote:
> I am really amazed if Ruby is really compared against Java, especially in
> the corporate world.  I feel it is just not a level playing field.  Ruby
> is an open source product, while Java has all the muscles of Sun (not
> counting other companies such as IBM) to support it.

IMHO, for a language to become standard (like C and C++) it can't be
controlled by a single company. I consider Ruby to have an advantage over
Java because it isn't proprietary.

> Has there been a real case of Ruby replacing Java in an official corporate
> project (not an individual/team effort)?  Does the Ruby community really
> feel that Ruby may someday compete against Java?

Ruby won't get a chance to compete with Java... because java will be dead in a
couple of years.

--
To call me "awesome" is an understatement.