Hi,

In message "Re: Best GC for Ruby?"
    on 02/09/04, Dan Sugalski <dan / sidhe.org> writes:

|Out of curiosity, have you given this a shot to see how performance
|looks? I've been debating the merits of generational collection, but
|I've been worried about the performance impact (and the code hassle)
|of maintaining generation barriers.

Generational GC performs quite well if there are bunch of live
objects.  But when we implemented the generational GC for Ruby, the
write barrier cost wasn't trivial.  As a result, we lost performance
for avarage cases.  Probably more efficient write barrier such as card
marking may help.  We will try again someday.

							matz.