When I run the following script, the value returned is of type 'utxt'. That
type is not one of the "native" types defined in osx/ae_constants.rb.
Therefore, when I call to_rbobj on the returned object the object is not
turned into a string.

The type 'utxt' seems to be returned by iTunes for all text fields, not
just the track name.

Am I doing something wrong? Is 'utxt' a new data type that should be added
to this list?

# ================================================================

require 'osx/aeosa'

SCRIPT = <<SCRIPT
set track_name to ""
tell application "iTunes"
  tell source "Library"
    tell playlist "Library"
      copy name of the first track to track_name
    end tell
  end tell
end tell
song
SCRIPT

ret = OSX.do_osascript(SCRIPT)
p ret			# => #<AEDesc:0x55a1c type='utxt'>
p ret.to_rbobj		# => #<AEDesc:0x55a1c type='utxt'>
p ret.to_s		# => "All Around The World"

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm / io.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
"It's overkill, of course. But you can never have too much overkill."