Hi --

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Albert Wagner wrote:

> This is really just Sort-of_Off_Topic.  I am currently in a state of
> code-burnout and was browsing the web to clear my head.  Someone on this
> list, I think, is a principle on this wiki.  I forget how I found it.  I have
> noticed that whenever there is any kind of code challenge, by common
> agreement the metrics by which the entrees are judged are only speed and
> keystrokes.  I personally always feel incompetent to send in an entry,
> because my experience has been business apps where correctness,
> maintainability (read: where it's not the language that confuses the
> maintainer but rather the implemented algorithm), and mutability.

In Ruby-oriented discussions about coding challenges, the merits of
striving for qualities other than shortness and speed often come up.
In particular, it's been pointed out that not all coding puzzles and
challenges should be referred to as "Ruby golf", since "golf" in this
sense very specifically means minimization of keystrokes.  At one
point (in [ruby-talk:38668]), Pat Eyler suggested that we refer to
style-driven challenges as "Ruby figure skating" :-)

And then there (almost) was the Code Amelioration Contest of 2001,
which, had it actually taken place, would have revolved around the
challenge of maximizing readability and elegance of design.

So take heart :-)  There's already a history of looking at it this way
in the Ruby community, and room for plenty more.  Mind you, I often
find "golf"-style challenges very educational and mind-sharpening, but
they're not the whole story.

David

--
David Alan Black                      | Register for RubyConf 2002!
home: dblack / candle.superlink.net     | November 1-3