At 4:14 AM +0900 9/3/02, Dossy wrote:
>On 2002.09.03, Hal E. Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:
>>  > --------------------------------------"it's like this"-------------------
>>  > Dan Sugalski                          even samurai
>>  > dan / sidhe.org                         have teddy bears and even
>>  >                                        teddy bears get drunk
>>
>>  I've always wondered what this tag means and/or where it
>>  originates. Care to elaborate? On- or offline.
>
>It's a 5-7-5 haiku.  I wonder if Dan originated it, but the
>meme's kinda old now.  At one point there was a Shockwave
>Flash animation of a samurai teddy bear that watched over
>someone sleeping and battled things while the sleeper
>slept ... but no amount of googling would reveal a URL for
>it and I can't find a factoid that points to it ...

It's not mine, though I abused it into the haiku--I got it originally
from a BSD fortune file, IIRC. The earliest Usenet reference I can
find to it is January 15, 1985, but I'm pretty sure I had it before
that.

It's not, so far as I can tell, attributed to anyone, which is a
shame, as I rather like the thing. :)
--
                                         Dan