On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 02:01:12AM +0900, Gabriel Emerson wrote:

> I should mention that I have never worked on a multi-programmer C/C++
> program, having only written C programs alone.  Our project was originally
> written on Windows for Visual Foxpro, and it is definitely easier for
> multiple programmers to work on Ruby in a Linux environment.  Compared to
> large projects I have worked on in Perl, with many developers and lots of
> classes, I definitely find the Ruby easier to work with, especially since
> programmers don't tend to find as many different ways to write a Ruby class
> as a Perl programmer might.  Compared to Python I guess I'd say I like Ruby
> slightly better, because the DBI module is easy for people to understand
> and the form of a Ruby program is easy for Perl and Java programmers to
> pick up.

I agree.
My experience with a two person team is that with a very limited
coding standard, the Ruby code that gets generated seems to be
uniform and consistent, no matter what level the programmers are.
Ruby seems to encourage good code layout (especially if while loops
are only used when iterators cannot be).

There are so many ways to write bad code in C/C++ it is (almost?) impossible
to control with a coding standard.

--
Jim Freeze
If only I had something clever to say for my comment...