----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Sugalski" <dan / sidhe.org>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: A Repeat: New Language After Ruby?

> At 2:20 AM +0900 9/3/02, Charles Hixson wrote:
> >(reasonable, there was a macro assembler created for the 6800 that
included
> >most of the features of C).
>
> Another Urban Legend strikes! :)
>
> C is older than the 6800, by rather a lot. (C predates
> microprocessors in general, IIRC, unless you consider the original
> intel 4004 a microprocessor)

Hmm. He didn't say that C was derived from it, only
that it had most of C's functionality. In fact, I
think he could be saying that the macro assembler
mimicked C.

> C's generally considered a PDP-11 assembly, but K&R have denied that.

I still feel that there were influences there. I've used
PDP-11 assembly, and actually liked it. :) Do they
totally deny any influences?

> Dan Sugalski                          even samurai
> dan / sidhe.org                         have teddy bears and even
>                                        teddy bears get drunk

I've always wondered what this tag means and/or where it
originates. Care to elaborate? On- or offline.

Cheers,
Hal