----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Sawyer" <transami / transami.net>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 11:55 PM
Subject: perl2ruby?

[Message not quoted as the author's fancy new email setup has rendered his
messages as attachments on my unpopular and somewhat frustrating email client.]

An automatic perl->ruby conversion would not output clear or idiomatic Ruby.
In any case, it's so easy to do (until you get into non-standard modules, of
course, but that's even harder for a program), that you might as well do it
yourself, improving the code as you go.

That's my experience, anyway, which unfortunately does not comprise large
projects.

The comment about requiring CGI and DBI support is interesting.  I actually
think that a conversion program in domain would be valuable, because you'd
spare yourself a lot of coding and would be able to clean up the generated code
fairly easily.

A really good document on how to convert would probably be a better investment,
though.

Gavin