schneik / us.ibm.com writes:

> To follow up on the 2nd, unquoted part of my note, I think it is simpler
> overall if you *don't* have multiple distributions. A major factor driving
> the proposed SDK/sumo distributions is the realization that many things
> (support, development, installation, use of applications) tend to be
> easier overall if you have a fairly substantial and a fairly comprehensive
> common frame of reference.

In that case, I'd like to move this forward.

How do we go about producing a professional quality Ruby installation
which includes enough stuff to get the user going:

  - Ruby, plus the standard libs
  - rdtool
  - RubyUnit
  - Tk
  - cygwin dll
  - anything else>

Is this a big job, or does it just take someone with a compiler and an
InstallShield license?

If someone could do the initial packaging, I'm sure we have enough
experienced and knowledgeable users here to test it on any number of
Windows environments.  I'm happy to contribute to this in any way I
can, but I don't have any kind of up-to-date Windows development
environment, nor do I have InstallSheild.

I suspect the coming 3-6 months will be an important time in the
adoption of Ruby: two books in English, active web sites, and the
attendant publicity will draw a lot of people in to the fold. It would
be great if we had something to offer them that was easy to install
and simple to use.

Regards

Dave