>Well, first of all, *some*  users are going to be put off no matter what
    >you do, as long as trade-offs are involved. And "some" is likely to be
    >"many" in any case, although of course we want to make sure "many" is not
    >"most".

We can make this simple then:

    - A developer's distribution.  Small, just core Ruby.  You've got
    to get Tk, cygwin, et al, all by yourself.

    - A sumo distribution.  All singing, all dancing, everything you
    could need including rdtool, rubyunit, etc.

    - A user distribution.  No development tools per se, just the
    tk/cygwin stuff needed to run ruby (DLLs only, etc.)

What do ya'll think?

/\ndy