Volkmann, Mark wrote:

> I think the main reason that languages such as Ruby, Python, Perl and
> TCL *tend* to be used for "scripting" as opposed to "real
> applications" is that they lack compile time type checking. Since
> there is no compile step in Ruby, maybe this should be called
> pre-release type checking.

Lets see, web sites, databases, ecommerce, accounting, simulation, stock
control, epos, payroll ... any more non 'real applications'. Oh yes
wordprocessors and spreadsheets. Of that list I have worked on 6 (web
sites, databases, ecommerce, stock control, epos, payroll) that were
written in Perl and have used the rest which were written in Perl,
Python or TCL (for those of you who remember Point the TCL/TK
wordprocessor).

Ok I have not heard of a Flight Simulator written in Perl but what are
these 'real applications' you talk of?