--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:23:10PM +0900, Jason Underdown wrote:

> > If we want to pick goals, don't aim for J2EE.  Aim past it.
>
> Since database interaction is so crucial in all but the most trivial
> of web applications, it makes sense to create a good abstraction
> framework for your data.  I think there are some good ideas that could
> be borrowed and improved upon from the J2EE spec.  I also think the
> dynamic nature of Ruby is an even better fit for creating an app
> server than Java.

I recently stumbled over OJB (http://jakarta.apache.org/ojb/) which is a
object relational bridge including a ODMG 3.0 complient API. Although I
didn't tried it yet I think something like that is missing for ruby. Of
course, the API must be ruby like. The concept of blocks in ruby would
be great for transaction demarkation (sic?), e.g. I imagine writing db
access or generally access to persistent object like this:

def add_item_to_cart(item_ids)
	transaction.serializable do
		@warehouse.queryByValue(:id, item_ids) do |item|
			item.instock -= 1
			@cart[@item] += 1

-billy.

--
Meisterbohne       SŲślinger Stra›∆ 100          Tel: +49-731-399 499-0
   eLungen       89077 Ulm                     Fax: +49-731-399 499-9

--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6

--kkRamCq5m5VQq0L6--