In message <20000910012804T.yashi / yashi.com>
yashi / yashi.com writes:

> quick test on my system showed me that using bitoperation is 2 times
> slower than instance variables reference for three flags. maybe it's
> just my stupid code, but don't know how to speed things up.

Using bit operations on Integers needs extra computations and
unnessesary object creations if you could access the bits directly.

Firstly you need bitmasks for referencing bits, and bitwise operation
itself creates its result as new object.  These temporaly objects may
cause a significant performance problem since they are able to a
reason of extra GC.

# integer&(1<<bits) vs. bitvector[bits].

Probably you should write a extension library which permit we refernce
a bit in a Integer without extra objects.  That is good if references
with a name is available, but difficult to define a useful
interface....

--
kjana / os.xaxon.ne.jp                             September 10, 2000
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.