Hi,

In message "[ruby-talk:4816] Re: Some questions"
    on 00/09/07, Friedrich Dominicus <frido / q-software-solutions.com> writes:

|> Because String is not a indexed container.  You can use
|> each_with_index instead.
|
|aren't Strings just Arrays? I have looked into the functions of the
|class and among them is self[nth] etc.. The same is there for Arrays

No.  Of course, String and Array share many method as sequences.  But
they are not identical.  String is a two face class.  A sequence of
characters, and a sequence of lines. Some like [] etc. works on
characters.  OTOH, each, sort, etc. works on lines.

Then, what do you think each_index should work on?
Characters?  Lines?

Either case, somebody suppose the other one, and get confused.
I think each_index for String is merely a source of confusion.
This is the reason why there's no each_index in String.

Did I explain properly?

							matz.